I think a lot of people missed IT! At the elitist White House Correspondents’ Dinner, President Obama made a joke about the difficulties Speaker Boehner was having with Republicans in the House. He sympathetically noted that the Speaker was having a more difficult time from the House Republicans than [even] he was. Here is what he said.
“And I’m feeling sorry — believe it or not — for the Speaker of the House, as well. These days, the House Republicans actually give John Boehner a harder time than they give me, which means orange really is the new black.”
Here is the way the joke was laid-out:
1) House Republicans give the President a hard time
2) House Republicans give Speaker John Boehner a hard time
Why? No reason, except —
3) John Boehner is ‘orange’ (referencing his deep tanned skin color)
4) He is black (referencing his skin color)
5) And since Boehner is having a more difficult time than him — orange is the new ‘black’.
Get it? He once again referenced ‘skin color’ (race) as the reason both he and John Boehner are having a hard time. But of course John Boehner is not having problems because of his deep tan. Neither is the President having problems because of his Black skin. Perhaps he should have added something about his bad policies? But I guess the joke wouldn’t have been as funny.
“Orange is the new Black’. The joke got big-time laughter, but I really don’t think most folks got it. Did you?